The Standards Organization of Nigeria (SON) is the apex standardization body in Nigeria. It was established to prepare standards relating to products, measurements, materials and processes, certification of Industrial products as well as assist in the production of quality goods at the national, regional and international levels.
What is the meaning of SON in Nigeria?
SON is the acronym for Standard Organization of Nigeria. SON was established by the Act No.56 of 1971 which is the sole statutory body vested with the responsibility of standardizing and regulating the quality of all products in Nigeria.
What are the roles of SON?
The standard Organization of Nigeria is saddled with the following responsibilities, to:
- Establish and approve various standards related to commodities, materials, measurements, structures, and processes for the certifying of products in Nigeria.
- Enforce the standards and quality control of products.
- Ensure an acceptable scientific measurement and other related matters.
- Certify Industrial products that meet the approved standards.
- Inspect the quality and standard of products and the facilities used for production.
- Seize and destroy or prohibit the selling of any products that are below standard in Nigeria.
- Provide reference standards for verification and calibration of measurements, and equipment used for measuring in Nigeria.
- Carry out inspections on the quality of products, materials and facilities used in production.
- Institute a quality assurance system which includes the certifying of products, laboratories, and factories.
- Carry tests and make sure every product and service comply with the standards approved by the SON.
Structure of Standards organization of Nigeria
The SON is headed by the Director General who is responsible for the day to day administration of the Agency. The Agency has several departments which includes the Inspectorate and Compliance, Laboratory Services, Planning, Research and Statistics, Metrology and Instrumentation among others which supervises and coordinates various services.
What is the function of SON in Nigeria
The mandate of the Organisation includes preparation of Standards relating products, measurements, materials, processes and services amongst others and their promotion at National, Regional and International levels; certification of products, assistance in the production of quality goods and services; improvement of measurement accuracies and circulation of information relating to standards.
What sector does the Standards Organization of Nigeria regulate?
The Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON) is the sole statutory body that is vested with the
responsibility of standardizing and regulating the quality of all products, services and processes in
What Activities does the Agency regulate?
SON regulates the training, registration, testing and certification of products, services and processes
to ensure they are fit for their purpose.
What Services does Standards organization of Nigeria provide?
The following are the services SON provides and they are:
- Registration of E-products
- Mandatory Conformity Assessment Programme (MANCAP) Certification
- Import permit application
- SON product Certification
- SON conformity Assessment Programme (SONCAP) Certification
- Voluntary Product Certification (NIS Mark of Quality)
Address : Head Office: Government office in Abuja, Nigeria:, 52, Lome Crescent, Zone 7, Wuse, Abuja
Phone number: +234 803 660 8254, +234 810 065 4333 Toll-Free 08002255766, 07056990099
Lagos Office: Victoria Arobieke St, Lekki Phase I, Lagos, Nigeria