Board of Directors (BOD) refers to a corporate body comprising a group of elected people who represent the interest of a company’s stockholders. The Board of Directors of a company is a group of individuals elected by the shareholders to oversee the management and direction of the company. The Board typically sets the company’s strategy, approves major decisions, hires and evaluates senior executives, and ensures the company is meeting its legal and ethical obligations.
Recommended reading: filling your business annual return with CAC
The Board of Directors is typically composed of a mix of internal and external directors, with the internal directors being executives or employees of the company, and the external directors being independent individuals who bring diverse perspectives and expertise to the Board. The Board is usually headed by a Chairman or Chairwoman, who leads the Board’s meetings and represents the company to stakeholders. The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) also serves as chairman of the company’s board of directors.
FUNCTIONS OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The board of directors of a company performs several key functions, including:
- Setting corporate strategy: The board is responsible for setting the overall direction and strategy for the company. This includes determining the company’s goals and objectives, and developing plans to achieve them.
- Providing oversight of management: The board is responsible for monitoring the performance of the company’s management team and ensuring that they are operating the business in accordance with the board’s directives.
- Approving major decisions: The board is responsible for approving major decisions, major capital expenditures, and changes to the company’s organizational structure.
- Ensuring compliance: The board is responsible for ensuring that the company complies with all relevant laws and regulations, as well as with its own internal policies and procedures.
- Representing the interests of shareholders: The board is responsible for representing the interests of the company’s shareholders, and ensuring that their rights are protected.
- Ensuring accountability: The board is responsible for ensuring that the company is accountable to its shareholders, employees, and other stakeholders and that it operates with transparency and integrity.
HOW DOES THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS WORK WITH SHAREHOLDERS?
The board of directors works closely with the shareholders of a company to ensure that their interests are represented and their rights are protected. Here are some ways in which the board typically interacts with shareholders:
Recommended reading: minimum share capital requirements in Nigeria
- Providing regular updates about the company: The board is responsible for providing shareholders with accurate and timely information about the company’s performance, financial condition, and other matters that may affect their investment.
- Soliciting feedback: The board solicits feedback from shareholders on a range of issues, including the company’s performance, executive compensation, and corporate governance practices.
- Responding to proposals: Shareholders may submit proposals for consideration at annual meetings, and the board is responsible for reviewing and responding to these proposals.
- Voting on issues: Shareholders have the right to vote on important matters such as the election of directors and major corporate decisions, and the board must ensure that shareholders have the opportunity to exercise their voting rights.
Overall, the board of directors plays a critical role in ensuring the success of a company. Directors may incur civil and criminal liabilities for their act or omission where they fail to carry out any of their statutory duties.
Sidebrief is a RegTech startup that has helped founders, entrepreneurs, and business owners across Africa to register their companies with ease and comply with regulations. We offer founders the resources they need to launch and grow international businesses from a single interface.
For further information, contact us today.
Email – email@example.com
Phone Number – +234901808129